It’s been a wonderful summer weekend: warm sunny weather, swimming and visits with family and friends. Now it’s almost supper time on a Sunday as the weekend comes to a close…what to have that’s simple but still delicious and ends the weekend meals on a high note…..how about stuffed mushrooms?!? My family love mushrooms and most dinner meals somehow incorporate some mushrooms in it- whether it be in a salad or side dish. On this particular Sunday I have 6 mushrooms to work with….I’ve already decided on Ribs and brocholli but what else can I make with little fuss?!? Not feeling like a salad I decide to make up some stuffed mushrooms!
Ofcourse I only have a part package of mushrooms! But no worries, any amount of mushrooms can easily be stuffed!
This recipe can easily be adapted to taste, spices and with whatever you have in the house! All you need is the base ingredient: cream cheese!!
Cremini mushrooms – these are my favourite to use due to thier flavourful taste
Half a brick of cream cheese softened
one shallot diced
one garlic clove diced
Spices ( I like to mix together ClubHouse Roasted Garlic & Pepper, Clubhouse Greek, Clubhouse Italian, Clubhouse Parmesean & Herbs and Mrs Dash Original) – about 2 table spoons for the mixture (more or less depending on how flavourful you like it.)
Pepper – I like to use freshly ground pepper
1) Preheat oven to 400 degree.
Clean out the mushroom tops- snap out the stem and with a butter knife gently scrape out the hymenium (the gills).
2) If you have time, sauté the shallot and garlic in a bit of butter. *You dont have to saute the shallot and garlic but it is a smoother flavour if you do* This time I didn’t saute as I was trying to save time-but my husband prefers the flavour when I do sauté
3) Mix the shallot, garlic into the cream cheese. I find a fork works great.
4) Add spices and pepper. Mix
5) Stuff the mushrooms with the cream cheese mixture using a small spoon
6) Top with shredded cheese – use what is on hand. This time I used old cheddar.
7) Cook in oven for 30minutes. Then enjoy!
I used to think making stuffed mushrooms would be hard work and only enjoyed them at restaurants. I am so glad that I started to make them – they are so easy and it doesn’t take much time to whip them up!