Last year I made a “1” birthday cake!
I quickly vowed it would be an annual tradition of making a number Birthday cake!
This year it’s time to make a “2”.
It’s actually quite easy!
1) Bake a round 9″ cake and a square 9″ cake of your choice.
2) with the round cake I used a toothpick to centre and a glass cup to outline a circle.
3) then placed a second toothpick to cut a straight line (envision a clock and place the toothpick at the 9) This is the start of the 2!
4) then cut out the circle. Using the toothpick make a straight line (Envision a clock and place toothpick at the 6) then cut.
5) remove the outside piece.
6) then carefully remove the centre. This is where you get the shape of the 2.
7) then flip the removed quarter piece to make the middle part of the 2!
8) cut the rectangle cake in half. Place one half as the bottom of the 2! To make the bottom align to the top, I cut one of the other ends of the cake and added.
9) I icinged the top and levelled out/hid the joining parts of the 2 cake.
10) I piped icing along the edge. It’s way easier as trying to use a knife or spatula on the edge would catch pieces if the cake.
It was a hit!
Then for her actual birthday we used my large cupcake pan to bake the bake. It turns out great but takes quite a while to cook.
Cupcake pan tips:
1) Butter and flour the pan well. Cook one side at a time for perfect cake.
2) Fill almost to the top but leave at least an inch to allow for rising.
3) Let sit for a minute or two before flipping into a cooling rack.
4) Decorate as desired! Enjoy!