Gluten Free Orange Almond Cake
So when I’m feeling a bit stressed or anxious, I like to bake. It’s very relaxing.
Thankfully, everyone is posting lots of great ideas (recipes) to try. A lovely gluten free bakery in Toronto – The Almond Butterfly ( https://www.almondbutterfly.com/) posted and shared a recipe for everyone to try!
Hopefully I do it justice – and my family is in luck during this pandemic as we have all the ingredients.
2 medium size oranges
250g white sugar (1 cup)
275g almond flour (2 cups and just under 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1) Place whole oranges with peel in a medium saucepan. Cover with water & bring to a boil. Reduce to a medium to low heat for 1 hour.
Then drain and let cool completely.
2) preheat oven to 350. Line pan with parchment paper.
3) remove seeds from oranges. Cut into quarters.
Put into blender. Blend until smooth uniform consistency.
4) In a large bowl, add eggs and sugar. Whisk until sugar dissolves into eggs. * If you don’t whisk enough it will leave a weird texture*
5) Add orange purée and whisk again.
6) add almond flour, baking powder and mix until all combined. * Do not over mix
7) Pour into pan
8) Bake 1 hour or until nicely browned on top and springs back when pressed
I didn’t take a picture of the cooked top – here is a pic of my flipped cake
It was (the top) spongey and a uniform brown when I took it out of the oven.
Highly recommend to serve with ice cream.