Ultimate Gluten Free FrenchToast
French toast is a weekend staple at our house. Imagine our sadness when we thought that we would never enjoy french toast the way we did before our celiac diagnosis.
With trial and error with various gluten free store bought breads we have been able to enjoy again. But unfortunately many store bought gluten free breads are either small in size or don’t take the French toast egg mixture well. Udi’s cinnamon raisin bread is not bad, nor is All But Gluten bread
Thankfully we have an amazing bakery in our area that makes amazing Gluten Free Cinnamin Raisin Bread! The Gravenhurst Bakery is our go to gluten free bakery for amazing bread and treats! They are very careful and totally understand the celiac gluten free requirement and need for no cross contamination as the baker’s daughter has celiac!
Whatever you choose as your bread this recipe will help take your French toast to the next level.
French Toast Recipe
Bread of your choice – we prefer cinnamon raison bread for French toast
Eggs – 1 egg per slice of bread
Milk – 1/4 cup per slice of bread
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon of each: ground cinnamon, ground cloves & allspice.
1) In a measuring cup wisk together eggs and spices. Stir in milk.
2) Pour mixture over bread. Let bread rest for 5 minutes to soak up the mixture.
3) Flip bread over. Using a large spoon pour extra of the egg mixture (that’s in the pan) on the bread. Let the bread rest another 5 minutes to soak up the liquid. You can also continue to use the spoon and keep putting more liquid from the pan on the bread.
4) Place the bread in fry pans that are on medium heat and have melted butter covering them. Pour the excess mixture from the pan over the bread.
5) Brown on both sides. The bread will puff up a bit once cooked. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the French Toast. Serve with maple syrup.
Enjoy!! My family love the “eggy extra”. Hopefully you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. And if you’re ever in Muskoka stop by the Gravenhurst Bakery to try their amazing Gluten Free fresh breads and baking!